Skip to main content

A Big Step

Helloww peeps! Today I'm gonna post something different than usual. It's a blog post that I used to enter a blogging competition in the college I'm studying in, INTI College Indonesia.
Its about my life there in a university and how it changed my life. Do comment what you think about it! Thanks!

A big step
I once wonder what it would be like to be a student in a college. Will it be as fun as what we saw in movies? Will my friends be cool? What should I wear when I don't have a uniform? What is it like to be independent? Will we still need to do loads of homework? Will I skip classes with friends?
I entered INTI College when I was about to turn 14. Can you imagine how many questions I have? I was worried that everyone would look down on me. I hate how everyone thinks that I'm still too young and I'm worried how if my seniors turn out to be my junior? Wouldn't that be awkward?
Too many questions in my mind needed to be answered but nobody seems to know how to explain it to me. I asked my sister, she said that it’s not as easy as it sounds or fun as it seems, she said I need to experienced it by myself in order to know. Day by day I waited for the orientation day to come. The night before the orientation I can't even sleep! I can't wait to see what kind of friends I will meet. But on the other hand I'm also worried if I can't make friends with them or made a bad impression. I'm quite relieved when I heard that my senior from my high school, Peter will be entering INTI with me!
I love making new friends and having lot of friends, that's why I don't like to be alone and I don't feel safe too. So when the day came, I find for a seat and constantly keep looking for Peter as he is the only person I know there. We were then separated into groups and played some games, introduced to the staff and of course were told the rules and regulations of the college. I had so much fun and I felt like, "Hey this wasn't that bad?”
I had to return the next day for my first class of the semester. Bought a bunch of new stationeries, paper and dressed nicely that day. Actually I was quite worried I couldn't make friends because I'm not really good in making friends with girls. This has always been my problem since primary school. I don't really know why but I get along with boys faster, well maybe because they are not really that sensitive compared to girls or I just haven't found the right girlfriend yet.
Studying in college is way different from school. We need to check our own schedule and know the class which is being used and etc. It’s not as easy as school where we don't really need to pass every subject to be able to go to the next level. If we fail, we still need to take the same class for the next semester. It’s all in our own hand, whether we want to be a good student, maintain a good mark and get a merit award, or be the kid who fail in every subject and still won't try their best.
At lunch I made friends with a bunch of girls who were 2-3 years older than me. They were quite cool at first and hanging out with them is like being the popular girls in school. We were the loudest in the canteen; walk in groups and even the teachers are annoyed by us. I almost forgot that I'm turning to the kind of person I used to hate. Day by day went by, by the end of the semester when my birthday was coming, they made a gap with me, stop seating beside me and started to talk behind my back. It’s like I haven't left high school at all and the "drama" is still there. When my birthday came I really wished that they are planning a surprise for me, despite how much I know that it's not going to happen. When I went to school that day all the girls just said to me Happy Birthday without looking me in the eye and just went away like that. I didn't know why, but I cried, the tears couldn't stop, so I went to the toilet and locked myself away. They confronted me with all the words I couldn’t bear to hear on my birthday that made it a memory of my birthday I will never forget.
But of course problems went away and I tried to bury those memories. I decided to start a new semester, skipped my foundation and took my diploma. I made new friends of course, but this time I could actually relate to them, maybe because they are much older than me. I am still friends with Peter and in fact became his best friend! But even though I'm now with people who are much older than me, there are still dramas. So what I can say is that drama exists everywhere you go. However, I want to thank all the people who did the things they did to me, all the things happened for a reason, they taught me a lesson and also made me a better person I am today.
I also became active in INTI's student body organization, INTIMA and helped them to make lots of events. I made friends with a lot of friendly staff from INTI and even went to meetings with them. Being a member of INTIMA really is a great thing I will never regret. I get to learn things that not all students can even know while they are studying in a university. I learned how to make a proposal, convinced the principal about the events I was about to make and all the other process of making events. Actively participating in an organization really made me realize that only studying is not enough, you need to get into the field to be able to know!
I'm turning 16 this year, INTI College have been the place where I learned things I never knew, the place where I understand the bitter sweet of life, the place where the staffs and teachers takes care of me while I'm turning into a teenager. I'm friends with all the marketing staffs, helped them and also the other way around. The teachers talk about things with me, helped me. Even people who most people won't realize like the auntie from the canteen, Andry the photocopy guy, babeh the security guard or Pak Sipri the maintenance are all very friendly. Being in a university not only made me realize things I never knew before, it changed my life and changed me in every way. I found true friends like Peter and Michelle, I even found true love. It’s not only about studying and getting good marks, and doing all your assignments, it’s about making the right choices of your own and when you did, you just made a big step in your life which you don't even realize.



- Posted from my iPad xoxo KarinZhou don't forget to comment ;)
Twitter, Facebook: @KarinZhou


Comments

  1. I hate study in INTI Jkt! Why all the good lecture replace by stup*d lecture?
    Lucky im only last for 1 sems here
    I hate the new fat lady lecture! U sould know who i mean
    shes so arrogant and her english is WORST! How stupid INTI let her teach us

    I wonder how they choose such lousy lecture for us

    Better move our ass before those lecture (not all but some) taugh us their low standar teaching methode

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I will reply you as soon as possible ! :)
Follow me on twitter, tumblr, instagram and formspring @karinzhou
For any inquiries you can simply email me at karinzhou1195@gmail.com
xoxo,
Karin

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Today

Hey Guys. At last... I got the time to take some outfit post. I know, you guys are already bored seeing all my writing and that Korean Food Recipe. So today I took some photos before going out with my family. :) I found my mom's old blouse a few weeks ago while looking around her wardrobe. The blouse is transparent and has high pads. LOL. Fashion did went around, huh? and didn't know that it could look this good on me with a high waist skirt I bought from Monaco. When I wore this outfit today, everyone in my house said that I look exactly like my mom when she is my age! hahahaa.  a little bit of vintage editing, done by photoscape! :) mom's blouse, monaco floral high waist, mary jane shoes and Loewe hand bag.  My narcism photos is next.. Hahahaha. I don't know why but I love my photos today. My eyes look big in every photos. argh. my eyes are too small. but I think my eyeliner makes it look big! ahh I just LOVE Bobbi Brown Eyeliner so much! :) this photo loo

11-11-11 Sweet Sixteen

FINALLY! I got time to edit my birthday photos! :)) I'm so happy that I got to share this to you guys! It felt like it's the happiest day ever! Everything's so perfect. Everyone I love was there except for my bestie Eunice from Malaysia. My sweet sixteen was held at grand manhattan club, hotel borobudur. my pretty bday cake! thankyou libra cake! :))  The stage..  posing before any guests come! my sister getting interviewed!  guests arriving! my two lovely aunties.. FAMILY.. <3  my sexy bitch, alexis haha~ my second dress..  me and my two handsome MC  my beautiful sis  a clearer picture of my dress  me mommy and daddy  papa and me! brother and his wife  2nd brother :*  my cutie lil brother :*  chicken dance!!! =D  partyyyy I didn't write much in this post cause nothing can explain how happy I am. nothing can be compared to this feeling I had. and I

a little bit too much? ;)

WARNING THIS BLOG POST CONTAINS LOT OF PHOTOS AND CAM WHORING PICTURES. PROCEED IF YOU WANT..TEEHEE! Sorry for the super late and so-less blogging guys. I've really been struggling with my overly too many tests and assignments. didn't sleep on the last day of world cup because of assignment. didn't even watch it. :( anyway like what I said in the previous post, I knew SPAIN will win! haha~ even though I supported German at first. :p So, to keep up with all the late blog posts, I'm gonna update you with a blog post full of pictures and updates.  Anyway I have another GOOD NEWS. I think I'm going to Guang Zhou, China to study! ooh, how I love it. I am going to live there and graduate there! Shopping and everything would be so FUN and CHEAP! haha. But, only if I am approved by the school. please god help me. and please pray for me guys. okay, enough of the bragging, haha. here are the photos.  1) did a little photo shoot of my lil bro and sis. haha~  you could blame